Our celebration of National Women Build Week 2017 will be taking place May 6-14 at our Hawthorne Farm site in Amherst. We’d love to have you join us! On April 29 at 9AM Lowes in Hadley will be hosting a How To Clinic in which participants will be oriented to Habitat and work together to learn how to frame a wall. Sign up for either of these events here.
PVHH Women Build mission statement: to nurture, recruit and train women to build simple, decent, healthy and affordable houses.
What is Women Build?
- The Women Build program empowers women to build Habitat for Humanity homes, enabling them to positively impact the lives of children by making home ownership a present reality for families.
- Women Build is not about excluding men; it’s about including women.
- Women are often intimidated on a “mixed” construction site; but in the comfortable environment of a Women Build site, they quickly learn construction skills.
- By planning projects where the majority of volunteers are women, Women Build involves more women in Habitat’s construction efforts, thereby increasing the number of houses Habitat can build.
- When women come together in a supportive environment, they feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment and increased self-esteem.
- More than 12 million U.S. children—one in six—are living in poverty.
- Poverty is a severe threat to children’s health, growth and potential.
- Investing in women is one of the surest routes to end poverty in the developing world. Women Builds have been completed in countries throughout the world.
- Women possess all that’s needed to affect dramatic change in their communities. Through Women Build, we can train and equip women to work more.
How do I sign up?
Sign up as new individual volunteer by attending an orientation then you can sign up for any future women build events.
- Women are always welcome at our construction sites
- Each spring there is a specific week sponsored by Lowe’s called National Women Build Week
- We have women build events throughout the year
- The 2014-2016 East St Duplex in Easthampton was our first Women Build project. We hope to do this again sometime.